1874 the original house was finished. Per Persson at Eliselund had taken on to build this combined saw and flour mill. The water wheel was powered by the water falls on top of the wheel instead of flowing underneath. This was so effective that both the saw and the mill could be used at the same time.
The saw was a frame saw. It was used to cut logs of different types of wood to planks. Most importantly, however, were the oak. The planks were sold to the boat builders in the area. The second most important was the elm, that gave fantastic material to the local furniture joinery. It is said that in a large way all the homes at Kivik had furniture in elm sawn here.
The first mill-employed was Måns Mårtensson. He lived in the small part of the building which is half-timbered. Two rooms and a kitchen with two fine tiled stoves and an baking oven. As far as we can ascertain, there have been five millers. Åke Erlandsson was the last and he sold the mill 1932. Soon afterwards the property with Sågmöllan and the famous Bronze Age cairn, Bredarör, was donated to the National heritage board. The donor was Emma Persson at Hanöbris.
The house was in deplorable condition and it was restored, heavily in its places, and restored to its former glory. In the second half of the 1930’s, Café Sågmöllan opened as a complement to the increasingly visited Bronze Age cairn. Many prominent guests have written the guestbook that is located inside the café.
Welcome to us at Café Sågmöllan, one of the oldest cafés in Österlen.